Are poinsettias poisonous?

According to the National Capital Poison Center, the poinsettia plant is often considered deadly. That’s wrong.

Poinsettia can be irritating but it is not fatal if eaten. If children and pets eat it, they can develop a mouth rash and stomach upset. The sap can cause a skin rash, too, according to the Center.

Researchers even tried to find out what the poisonous dose of poinsettia might be and they just couldn’t, even after reaching experimental doses of about 1.25 pounds (500-600 leaves). The plant does not have dangerous effects when eaten.

The Poison Center said you don’t have to completely eliminate the plant from your home, but you still should prevent your child or pet from swallowing it by storing it out of their reach.

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: